Caitie's working at a fancy French boutique store this afternoon (on a trial basis; she has to sell $XXX worth of merchandise before they will hire her), so I'm home alone, listening to Arcade Fire and eating some delicious hot crossed buns. Thought I should update the blog.
It's been a crazy week. As luck would have it, I started work in the midst of madness - two conferences (had to speak at one). I'm really liking my new role, and the people I work with are really friendly, smart and energetic. It's a good environment. Hopefully I will earn enough money to buy one of these:
We continue to fall in love with our neighborhood. Mostly we discover things by going for runs and getting lost. That's how we came across this sign, which I found both hysterical and depressing:
What else? We don't have a television. This isn't a matter of principle or anything, we just haven't gotten around to it yet. So far it hasn't been a problem. We've been taking advantage of the local library and reading a lot. We also discovered a website called watchtvsitcoms.com that allows us to catch up on our favorite shows (The Office, Californication) in 72 minute intervals. Unfortunately the site also has movies, one of which is "Twilight", and I'm often forced to prove that we shouldn't waste our 72 minutes on a movie that Caitie's already seen twice, ha ha. Speaking of twilight, here's a photo of our neighborhood at twilight:
We got confirmation that our stuff has arrived and is sitting in some port until further notice. This means they are going to rummage through everything and make sure we didn't pack anything illegal, which I doubt we did. Hopefully everything arrives this week and we can finally start decorating the flat with all the little tidbits that remind of us home and make us feel complete. Then we'll finally post photos of our place.
Last Sunday we attended our first "Roast", which is more or less a 7-hour brunch at a pub. Oddly enough, the pub we went to was on the same exact block (Kensington Court) as the apartment we stayed in three years ago when we were here with my Mom and Dad. I guess you could say we've come full circle. One of my coworkers, Molly, arranged the Roast and we had a great time - met a lot of people, ate good food and played a bunch games. Thanks to Molly and crew for making us feel so welcome. We have another Roast scheduled for next Sunday at a pub on our block. We'll remember the camera next time. . .
We also had a chance to catch up with our friend Daniele. She met us at a pub in Angel, an area we really liked, and we made plans to go see her painting studio sometime next week. Tonight we're headed to Brick Lane for a friend's bday dinner. Brick Lane is supposed to be a hangout for hipsters and the best place in the city for curry. We are very excited.
But we're even more excited that John, Jamie and Cooper will be here tomorrow. Caitie bought some Cheerios for Cooper, granola bars for Jamie, and Carlsberg beer for John. What more could they want? Keep an eye out for a guest blog. . .
One last thing: WHY DID THE EAGLES LET BRIAN DAWKINS GO? I couldn't breathe when I heard that news. Nobody will ever be able to replace No. 20. Thanks for everything you gave the fans, Dawk. You were the heart and soul of an entire franchise. I hope you get your ring. (No, I don't think he'd actually read this, but I had to say it).
Godspeed,
-M

No comments:
Post a Comment