Thursday, June 11, 2009

Scentless in Amsterdam

Hi everyone, Caitie here, official blog editor for this entry. So last weekend we went to Amsterdam to stay with my friend Meghan, and her family, husband Rob and cutie 2-year old Kaia. We had a fabulous time, and completely fell in love with the city! Meg and Rob had 4 old beater bikes, so we rode everywhere like authentic Dutch people and enjoyed the canals, cafes and cheese. Unfortunately I had a sinus infection the whole weekend and could not smell the famous aromas of the city, but Mike told me the whole town was very fragrant :)

Biking over the canals.

Ann Frank's school, right down the street from Meg and Rob's house.

Biking to dinner. They took us to an amazing Indonesian restaurant,
famous in Amsterdam for being good, and it was!

Mike and I, still innocent and pure before we went to the Red Light District. Neither of us had ever seen any pictures or heard much about it, so we had this romantic image in our head of an old western parlor house, with the women standing on a balcony in fancy lingerie...well, were we wrong! So we got a taste of the real RLD. All the women looked so bored, talking on cell phones and smoking cigarettes in neon bikinis, totally not the wild wild west, ha ha. Meg and I wanted to know what they were charging so we sent Mike up to a window to ask. Of course he went to the window with two girls in it...it was 50 euros (for both). Pretty reasonable I guess.

Canals at night.

Boat houses.

I loved that everyone biked everywhere, it was amazing. The best part is that bikes have the right of way, even over cars! Now that is the way to get people to bike to work.

Rob caught some candids.

Kaia was a little biker too, she loves riding around with mom.

Playing in the park. Kaia was really into this ride.


We had such a great weekend. Also went to the Van Gogh museum and the Ann Frank House which was an amazing experience, highly recommended. Meg cooked us a delicious vegetarian dinner and we convinced them to take a Disney cruise, mostly because Rob is really excited to have a Fun Coach. I mean, who wouldn't want a Fun Coach. And we played and played with Kaia. We're sad the Tust's are going back to the states, but wish them safe travels!

In other news, Mike and I are getting ready to move apartments at the beginning of July, so once we are situated I will post pictures. I know I promised them of our current place, but I just hate it and cannot wait to leave. Plus we're going to have a huge backyard in the new place!

No comments:

Post a Comment